Monday 16 April 2012

Southern Hospitality

So I'm at day 7 now and everything is still going really well. I've met a lot of awesome people and the scenery has been amazing.

One thing you might not know about the A.T. is that everyone is given a trail name while they hike it. On day two I was given the name "Jiffy Pop" (american popcorn brand) because my sleeping matress made a lot of noise and gave someone dreams about popcorn. I liked it and I'm sticking with it. Andreas got "Sex panther"...don't ask.

The biggest thing that struck me was the hospitality I've been receiving from the local people here in Georgia. For instance when we reached the road that leads into Haiwassee we didn't have to wait longer then 15 minutes to get a ride from a very nice name named "Tater". After we arrived in town and pigged out at the all you can eat stake house we where offered a ride by another man to the nearest wallmart, which was 15 miles away! There are a lot of people here that give food to the hikers because they have either hiked the A.T. or done sections of it. We call it trail magic.

A funny "american" thing happened on day 5. We just got of some random mountain down to a valley with a dirt road in it. When we got to the dirt road a man in the biggest car pulled up and asked us where the nearest Mc Donalds is. We thought he was joking seeing as we are in the middle of nowhere and we all looked very hungry...he wasn't joking.

The next town stop will probably be in 5 or 6 days. And I will be leaving Georgia today, which took the first 79 Miles of the A.T. 71 Miles Done only 2113 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment