Wednesday 2 May 2012

What about second breakfast?

23 days on the trail and I find myself in Hot Springs North Carolina. Big things that have happened since the last time I updated my blog:
- I have now done more then 10% of the Appalachian Trail
- I have crossed the Smokey Mountains
- I am still having fun
- The dutch government cannot function without my presence.

About that last point, for you non dutch people, apparently this week the dutch government disbanded, because they couldn't agree on economic cut down rules, and obviously I was unreachable to help them out because I was in the middle of the Smokey Mountains with no cell service.

Ok back to the trail. The Smokey Mountains where hard but provided with some of the best views I've had so far. Beforehand someone told me the Smokey's where easy and it was all ridge walking. He/She couldn't have been more wrong. The first two days where only uphill and we had rain/thunder/hail and fog, lots of fog. Thankfully it cleared up after those days, right before we reached the highest point on the entire A.T. trail, Clingmans Dome (over 2000 meters). After that it got very hot and humid on the trail, but I prefer that over the rain. Besides that the wildlife in the Smokey's is supposed to be pretty amazing, and people rarely go through it without seeing at least one bear. Guess who was one of the few people who did not see a bear in the Smokey's......

Other then that wildlife that I have seen until now include:
- Turtle
- Lizards
- Snakes
- Deer
- Millipedes/ Centipedes
- Turkey's
- Squirrels

I found out that getting enough food every day is very important. When we left to start the Smokey's I had packed for 7 days of food, but I didn't bring quite enough for all of the 7 days so I had to ration it. Basically for the first 2 days I ate 2000 calories a day, which is good for normal life, not if you are hiking mountains 20 - 30 km a day (you need between 3000 - 5000). I noticed I moved a lot slower after the first day already, and things weren't looking very good. Then I got a lucky break, I found out there was a hostel with resupplying options only 4 days away, so I was able to double my rations and I immediately noticed the difference performance wise. You could say I found out the importance of a second breakfast!

I've seen more of my new trail friends quit the trail which is a shame, but I guess unavoidable since only 10 to 20 % are supposed to make it all the way to the end. I still feel good and If the weather is kind on me I think I will make it. The next goal on the list is Trail Days in Damascus, which is 200 miles away from here. Trail Days is a gathering of old and new hikers who are doing or have done the A.T. at some point. I hear up to 30,000 people show up. It starts on may 18th and lasts 2 days. I hope to be near Damascus when it starts so I can hitchhike in easily. I can't wait for it!

Hopefully I'll get to update the blog again in 5 days.

Miles done: 273.7 (441 km)
Miles to go: 1910.3

Shelter life after a big storm

A new hiker buddy

The view from top of Clingmans Dome

A long way to go!

Is this the end of the world?

Mountain snake!

Horses on the A.T.



An awesome view after a long hot day!



No comments:

Post a Comment