Thursday 19 April 2012

Trail legends

So I am 10 days into my adventure, and I'm currently taking my first zero (rest day) in Franklin, North Carolina.

I passed two milestones in the last few days. First I've passed my first state, Georgia which was a total of 80 miles. They say that 30% of the people who start the A.T. quit before making it out of Georgia. Georgia was a tough start but the views where spectacular.
The second one is passing the first 100 mile mark, which I did yesterday. I didn't really care about that one since it rained pretty hard that day. This is the reason I am taking a rest day in Franklin. I want to dry all my gear, and I also have to buy a new food bag because a mouse got through the current one last night (he was after my peanuts!). They say the rain gets pretty heavy around here and they weren't kidding, I haven't seen rain and thunder that bad for a long time. I was glad I stayed in a shelter and I didn't have to camp in my tent.

I hear a lot of stories about "trail legends", people who've made their name on the A.T. in someway or another. For instance there is a story about the "barefoot sisters" who did the whole A.T. from south to north and back again(!) on barefoot. And apparently a blind man completed the A.T. as well. They told me he trained his dog to detect white blazes (white patches on trees that indicate you are on the A.T. they are found every mile or so throughout the entire 2200 miles), and he always camped with his tent pointing north so he wouldn't get lost.
I've met a trail legend on the trail this year as well. His trail name is Gollum, and he is amazing. He is 76 years old and has done the A.T. multiple times. Other then that he has kayaked the Mississippi and the Missouri, gone to the Antarctic and after he finishes hiking this year he is going to go on a bicycle across Canada.
I keep meeting people who are hiking well into their 70's, it's amazing. Apparently the oldest person who started this year is 89 years old. As far as I know I'm still the only Dutch person this year.

America weirdness of the week: Drive through ATM's (cash points).

I've added some more pictures, they aren't that good because I've half broken my camera (I can take pictures i just can't see the pictures I take).

Miles done: 106.7 (171 km)
Miles to go: 2077.3
Mountain lizard!

Trail names from left to right: That Guy, Hotwheels, Jiffy Pop, Sex Panther, Sassafras, Aquaman, Tricks and Snackasaurus rex.

Foggy day

Looking down
Morning at one of the many shelters


No comments:

Post a Comment